Woodbury Hill, is situated in south-west of the Great Witley parish and is the site of an ancient hill fort covering 26 acres.
Woodbury Hill was the site of a fortified camp as long ago as the Bronze Age. It was probably used by the Celts under Caractacus and later by the Romans. In succeeding centuries it was used by Saxons, Danes and Normans. In 1405 Owen Glendower led an army of Welsh and French forces against Henry IV. He marched on Worcester and after pillaging and burning the city he camped on Woodbury Hill. Advance guards of Henry IV had camped on Abberley Hill and controlled supply lines. For eight days the opposing armies engaged in skirmishes and jousting contests below the hills in Witley. Eventually Henry withdrew to Worcester and the Welsh and French forces retreated to Wales. Woodbury Hill Fort was again occupied in 1483 by the Duke of Buckingham in the reign of Richard III.
The hill is now largely covered by pine trees. Preparation for planting the trees began in 1957, with planting starting a couple of years later and continuing through until around 1965. Local resident and forestry expert Bede Howell helped plant the trees.
The Goodman family remember the wonderful shows of bluebells up on the hill as can be seen from this short family film from a time before the hill had been planted up with conifers. Starring in the film are the three boys Geoff (the eldest) and his twin brothers, Richard and David along with their mum, Mrs Lucy Goodman. The film was originally taken around about 1947 before they moved from Bewdley to Great Witley when it was quite an expedition.