It is understood that in the heyday of Witley Court the building housed a steam driven beam engine which pumped water from the Hundred Pool to a reservoir higher up in Witley Court Park near the Martley Road. On the instruction of the Dudley family, valves were opened and the fully charged reservoir supplied water pressurized by gravity to the fountains at Witley Court.
At the time of this photograph the Engine House was the home of Mr Graham Francis and his family. Mr Francis being employed as Farm manager by Mr Cotton who farmed approximately 300 acres of land surrounding Witley Court.
Enoch Williams – and family – lived at the Engine house in the 1880s until 1894. He was Engineer to the Earl of Dudley.
In 1999 Peter Davies & his family moved to the Engine House. At the time, it was not habitable, and Peter has recorded how the house was turned into their home, despite being forced to move out twice due the the floods in 2007. The family also upgraded the Engine Keepers Cottage adjacent and this is now available as a holiday home.
Peters recording: Davies_Peter_20141210_1_2_A (16 mins 46 secs)