These people have either recorded their memories, or are the subject of some of the memories in our archive. Each name is linked to a page where you may read more about them and listen to their recordings.
Vernon & Veronica Ashley – the driving force behind hundreds of jazz events at Little Witley Village Hall over the last 35 years
David Banks – of Hill House Farm & G Herbert Banks estate agents & auctioneers.
George Herbert Banks – founder of G Herbert Banks Estate Agents in 1898
Joan Banks (Mrs) – Joan moved to the Bank House at Stanford in the Teme Valley before her teens, coming from a small village between Ludlow & Leintwardine. As the second world war started, Joan was a young teenager and she went to work at Hill House Farm in Great Witley. Whilst there she met and married her husband Tony Banks.
Anne Birkmyre – lived in Great Witley & Structons Heath since 1951, and has a close involvement with the local church.
Don Bowen – born in Great Witley in 1931, and educated at Great Witley School. He spent all his working life in Great Witley first in horticulture and then agriculture. A member of Great Witley Bowling Club and Great Witley Mens Club, Don also shot for many years for Great Witley in the Lord Ednam Air Rifle League.
Hilary Bowen – worked in and lived in Great Witley since the late 1950s predominately in agriculture with her late husband Mr Doug Bowen, Hilary recalls many aspects of farming in the local area and the wide ranging changes she has seen take place during the last 60 or so years.
Ben Cooper – worked for Lord Dudley & Sir Herbert Smith at Witley Court
Roy & Mary Cox – Roy worked in Witley Park for Mr Tommy Ward who farmed some of the Witley Park land before the Pain family. At that time the farm was primarily market gardening. Mary also worked locally, at the Hundred House.
Bill & Tom Dallow – Bill was born and grew up in Great Witley, his father was PC Tom Dallow who policed the area from 1957 to 1974.
George Crumpton – waggoner at Hill House Farm, Great Witley
Peter Davies – describes how his family converted the Engine House at Witley Court to their home.
Christine & Mavis Drew – Mavis Drew moved to Little Witley as a child at the beginning of World War II with her family. She married John Drew and together they built up their flower and tomato business. Mavis is mother to Nigel, Paul, Adam & Jane, all of who still live in the village. Christine (nee Oliver) married David Drew in 1964, and lived in Little Witley since then.
Harold (known as Jack) Field – ran the Thrift Club at the Hundred House, Great Witley
John & Pauline Fortey – John moved to Great Witley aged 7 yrs in 1944 and was joined by Pauline in 1963 when they married. They lived at the Post Office until 1973 when they moved away.
Geoff Francis – grew up and lived in Great Witley 1954-72 and still and resident in the area – his memories include driving on the frozen Hundred Pool in 1963
Geoff & Judy Goodman – owners of Walsgrove Farm, Great Witley since the late 1950s – they have a wealth of farming memories. Judy started the nationally known Goodmans Geese enterprise and the farm is now also the venue for the annual Redmarley Hill Climb. Both Geoff & Judy have been active members of local community groups.
John Gorton – born in 1943 and has lived in Little Witley since 1978. He has been in farming all his life. Over the years he has worked the Ballards at Abberley, at Wulstan’s Farm, with the Colwills at Dingle Farm and the Harpers at Holt Heath.
Mavis Green (nee Hollyhead) – born and lived at Redmarley police station 1925-41
Shirley Griffin – born at Woodbury Hill farm and and grew up in Great Witley.
John & Pat Hancock – local farmers and historians
David Harper – his family have built up the Top Barn Farm enterprise at Holt Heath. New page added.
Gill Henley – widow of Brian Henley (an ex Chairman of Great Witley Village Hall), mother to Jessica, Jeremy, Tim and Drucilla – all ex pupils of Great Witley Village School.
Judy Henshaw – family owned Great Witley Post office & ran the telephone exchange
Colonel & Frances Hildick -Smith – owners of Redmarley Orchard at Great Witley
Peter Hill – moved to Yarhampton (between Great Witley and Stourport) when he married Shirley Gresley, from Great Witley, in 1960. He tells stories of life in the Great Witley Choral Society presenting Gilbert and Sullivan operettas, the scope of the activities of Great Witley Womens’ Institute (where his wife was the Treasurer for many years) and his bell-ringing activities in churches in the surrounding area.
Peter & Diana Hill – lived in Little Witley since 1983 with a long term involvement with the Church, Village Hall and Parish Council, as well as Little Witley WI.
Ben Hinton – Ben Hinton was head keeper at Witley Court in the early and mid 1900s working for Lord Dudley and Sir Herbert Smith.
Terence How – Born in Great Witley and worked locally in agriculture for many years. Also member of the Great Witley Bowling Club, and helped clear the Redmarley Hill Climb for the year 2000 Easter Monday meeting.
Daphne Jeffery – local resident of Little Witley/Holt, remembers the mill and mink farm.
John Lane – well known merchant from Stanford Bridge, describes life in the area in the early & mid 1930s.
Pam Martin – local resident of Great Witley.
Arthur Moore – Coach builders & owners of The Central Garage at Great Witley
Derek Newton – lived at Witley Court Worcester Lodge from late 1940s, to mid 1950s, whilst he father managed Witley Court Farm.
Dorothy & Angela Norton – Dorothy Norton who was 93 at the time of her interview and her daughter Angela Fairhurst (nee Norton), lived in Great Witley for many years, first at Stourport Road and then in the Glebe.
Suzanne Owen – daughter in law of Arty Owen, wife of Andrew Owen and mother of Philip and Sally-Anne. Suzanne was much involved with the playgroup in Great Witley, long time school governor for Great Witley Primary School and currently president of the Little Witley WI. Suzanne still helps on Chapel Farm, Little Witley now run by her son, Philip.
Pat Pain – born on Woodbury Hill and farms Witley Park Farm
Diana Pollock – moved to Great Witley in 1981. Diana created a Great Witley & Hillhampton pictorial parish map which records many transient aspects of historical memories
Richard Quarterman – lifelong resident of Great Witley & member of the local Quartermans Transport family firm. A member of Great Witley Working Mens Club and the Bowling Club, and a regular competitor at Redmarley Hill Climb since 1959.
Tom Quarterman – local haulier and coal merchant who gifted land to the village to establish the Quartergreen recreational area.
Tony Quarterman – spent all his life in Great Witley. Attended Great Witley School, and later worked in the family road haulage business. Tony was also regular competitor at the Red Marley Hillclimb during the 1950s and 1960s.
Brain Rea – Brian was brought up at Foxhall Farm (once known as Vauxhall Farm) on the Stourport Road. The farm was formerly part of the estate of Witley Court. Educated at Great Witley Primary School and tells stories about his time there during the Second World War in the mid-1940s. He recalls German prisoners of war working on the family farm and enjoying Christmas Dinner with his family.
Rectors of Witley – 1277 to 1910. A booklet published by RA Wilson from Great Witley surveys the churches and rectors of our parishes. The booklet was kindly donated by the family of Frances Hilldick-Smith.
Doug Sheward – Great Witley resident since 1963, and member of Martley Civil Defence
Malcolm & Carol Skinner – moved to Eastgrove Cottage in Sankyns Green from Birmingham in 1975 and set about making the quintessential English cottage garden.
Barbara Simmons – born in Little Witley in 1935 and grew up in Winnall Cottage where her parents, grandparents and great grandparents had lived. Her grandfather, Tom Jones had been a gamekeeper at Witley Court.
Dixon Stinton – born 1928 and has lived in Witton Hill, between Wichenford and Martley all his life. He remembers going to Little Witley School from the age of 4 and a half.
Adrian Symonds – returned to Great Witley from St Peter’s in Worcester with his wife and son, going back to his family house. He spent all his childhood in the village, and was educated at both the village school and the Chantry High School at Martley (1988-93). Adrian also talks about the stand off between Owain Glyndwr (on Woodbury Hill) & Henry IV (on Abberley Hill) in 1405.
John Taylor – John’s father was the Maintenance Engineer for the Abberley Preparatory School although he went to Great Witley Village School from 1938. He lived in the former Toll House at the bottom of the Bromyard Road. He recalls the snow in the vicious winter of 1947 and the resulting landslide on Abberley Hill which was reported nationally.
Ray Thomas – moved to Great Witley in 1970 aged 40 to take up the position of Police Sergeant following his promotion. Ray worked closely with Tom Dallow, the police constable in Great Witley and together they were responsible for a ‘section’ known as Martley, Clifton Clows Top, Astley, & Callow Hill, which included many smaller villages within those areas
Peter & Julia van Tongeren – Mill Orchards fruitfarmer & Gt Witley Surgery nurse
Simon Mason Wall – current Lord of Great witley
William Henry Wall – Headmaster of Gt Witley School 1910-32
John Westwood – moved to Structon’s Heath, Great Witley after marrying in 1968. John had worked as a bricklayer since leaving school at 15 and later in life undertook restoration work on Witley Court.
David Williams – local resident who grew up on The Glebe, at Great Witley
Canon Wilson – Rector of Witley 1910-45